Skip to main content

Teaching with ARCS

Image source: Paramount, Raiders of the Lost Ark trailer.

One teaching model I keep coming back to is Keller’s ARCS model. I like it because it is simple, practical, and focused on something every teacher thinks about. Motivation.

ARCS stands for Attention, Relevance, Confidence, and Satisfaction.

First, you need to capture attention. Students have to lean in before real learning can begin. For example, in a business class, you might open with a question like, “Why do some great products still fail?” 

A good question can wake up the room right away.

Then comes relevance. Students want to know why something matters. In an Excel class, I might explain that spreadsheets are used in offices, businesses, and organizations every day. 

When students see a connection to real life, the lesson starts to feel more worthwhile.

Next is confidence. If a task feels too big too quickly, students can shut down. Instead of giving a full spreadsheet project right away, I might teach one formula first and let students practice it successfully. 

That small win can build momentum.

Finally, there is satisfaction. Students need to feel that their effort led to something meaningful. When they finish a chart, solve a problem, or complete a polished worksheet, they can see their progress for themselves.

That's what I like about ARCS.

It reminds us that motivation is not just something students bring with them. 

It is something teachers can help create.

Happy Teaching 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flashforward Teaching

Image source: Netflix, The Queen’s Gambit trailer. One of my favorite storytelling techniques is the flashforward opening, where right at the beginning of a story, you see a quick scene from much later on. Then the story goes back to the start. It creates instant curiosity. Netflix drama The Queen’s Gambit does this brilliantly in the very first scene of the series.  Beth Harmon wakes up in a chaotic Paris hotel room and hastily stumbles into the lobby for a major chess match. Then the story cuts back to her childhood. Right away, you want to know how she got there. Teachers can use this too. On the very first day of an Excel class, I show students a polished spreadsheet with formulas, formatting, charts, and organized data. The questions start immediately. How did you make that chart? What formula is that? How did you highlight those cells automatically? I tell them we are going to answer all of those questions throughout the course. Then I close the finished file, open a blank s...

Why the Point Is Not Enough

One communication method I keep coming back to is the Point Evidence Impact model. I like it because it gives teachers a simple way to explain ideas clearly and persuasively. The model is a way to structure each main idea: first make your point, then support it with evidence, and finally explain the impact on the audience or bigger picture. That is helpful in teaching because students do not just need information. They need to understand why it matters. For example, in a project management class, a teacher might say, “Clear scope helps prevent project failure.” That is the point . Then the teacher might give evidence by sharing a case where a project went off track because expectations were not clearly defined. Finally, the teacher explains the impact : when scope is unclear, time, cost, and team alignment can all suffer. Now the concept feels more real and more important. What I like most about this method is that it keeps a lesson from becoming flat. Instead of simply stating ideas, ...