![]() |
| Image source: trailer for Enter the Dragon. |
Bruce Lee once said,
“I fear not the fighter who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the fighter who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”
I think that idea connects really well to teaching.
As educators, it is easy to feel like we always need to add more. More tools, more strategies, more activities, more technology. There is always something new to try. But sometimes real growth does not come from constantly adding. Sometimes it comes from returning to one strong practice again and again until it becomes part of who we are as teachers.
A teacher who uses one effective technique consistently can make a huge impact.
Maybe one of those techniques is Keller’s ARCS model. Instead of jumping from one motivational idea to the next, we might focus on practicing the same four things over and over. Capturing attention, building relevance, supporting confidence, and creating satisfaction. The more intentionally we practice that, the more natural it becomes.
Students benefit from this too.
Mastery does not usually come from trying ten different things once. It comes from returning to an important skill repeatedly until confidence and competence begin to grow.
That is what I like about Bruce Lee’s quote.
In teaching, depth often matters more than variety.
One strategy practiced with purpose can be more powerful than ten used only once.
Happy Teaching 😊

Comments
Post a Comment